Saturday, September 6, 2008

Completely Disgusted!

Let me paint a picture for you.

Jackson and Landon playing outside in the front yard. Me trying to do some weeding. I glance up and see that Jack has something hanging out of his mouth.
"What do you have in your mouth Jack?"
"A paper thing you put in your mouth." As he throws it in the lawn and walks off to play.
I, being curious, went over to where he was standing and looked in the grass. Ewwww, Ewww, Ewww! A Cigarette Butt!
"Jackson is this what you had in your mouth!?" (I think I sounded angry because he immediately began trying to explain himself.)
"But, but some people put them in their mouths and it has smoke."
"Jackson this is gross garbage you don't put it in your mouth."
"Why do people put it in then?"
"Because they choose to smoke and hurt their bodies, but I don't want you to hurt your body, it's very yucky and not good for you."

Did I seriously just have to explain to my three year old why he shouldn't put cigarette butts in his mouth? I was completely disgusted! I wasn't angry at him, he really didn't know any better, but rather at the shmuck who threw it there. I am all for being able to choose for yourself, but seriously if you are going to smoke and turn your lungs to charcoal, have the decentsy to not throw your disgusting butts on my lawn and sidewalk where my children can pick them up and nauseatingly mimic your gross habit. I hate the fact that he even notices that people smoke, but that he actually thought it as something he could do, is not okay. I am still dumbfounded that he made the connection of the butt on the ground as the same thing that people have hanging out of their mouths. Kids seriously notice everything! Can't I just lock them up in the house and keep them safe?

10 comments:

Pickett Fences said...

That is gross but you handled it well. I remember picking up an old beer bottle next to the canal we grew up by and the story my dad told me about my aunt who is an acholic and that he tried it once and then he threw up.

Trisha said...

OH NO! I would have freaked too!

Hayley said...

I would have yelled, and probablly sworn (lets be honest, I would have sworn.) And I would have freaked out too.

Jami said...

That is disgusting! Ellie actually did the same thing it made me sick. I know how frustrating it is to find cigarette butts in your yard. I've got neighbors that smoke so we find them all the time!

Jill said...

Oh no! That is gross. Poor kid. I feel the same lets lock our kids up and keep um safe. Its not fun sending them out there to grow up. :(

Brenda said...

Evey did a similar thing at a rest stop when we went to New Mexico this summer. Though I was lucky enough to snag it before she put it in her mouth. And unfortuantely, my reaction scared her.

These are very gross situations, but I don't believe locking our kids in the house is the answer. Though, I've been tempted to do so myself.

Jan said...

I AM DYING!!! You've struck a nerve of mine nobody should know about. Smoking is SICK! I agree with everything that you said. Poor innocent Jackson and our kids exposed to a bad habit of others.

Amy F. said...

Yeah that is kinda gross. Even more gross is that someone else's mouth was on that you know? I really don't understand either how some smoker's so blatently litter like that. I mean who do they think is supposed to clean up their mess?

carlyl said...

Gross. How rude to throw your cig butt on someone's lawn. Seriously, could they be anymore trashy?

Tiffany Webber said...

Yuck! It's sad when innocent little kids pick up on others discusting addictions. I wish it was illegal... at least in Utah you can go to a restaurant and not have to request to sit as far away from the smoking section as possible so you and your child don't breathe it in!!